South Africa Safari

The purpose of living is to have varied experiences. And one experience I’ll remember for a really long time is when I went to South Africa. I got to see a lot of animals and many cool habitats.

We first arrived by plane in this really small airport. Then we took an hour’s drive across the reserve. We would occasionally see a few impalas and wildebeests . We even ran into an elephant!

Everyday we would go to 2 safari’s. Each was 3 hours long. The first safari was 5:00 in the morning and the second safari was 4:00 in the evening. I was there for 3 days. Every day I saw a new animal.

On the first day it was hard to wake up in the morning at 5:00 but I saw a lot of animals. Giraffes zebra’s elephants etc. And in the end I saw a female lion resting. But when an impala saw her, she made a whistle and all the zebra’s within a quarter mile were alert. It was so cool how everyone was suddenly alert and how they worked together to keep each other safe. Driving through the safari felt so majestic. The breeze on your face, the open landscape, all of it was so amazing.

On the second day I saw everything that I saw the first day, and additionally I saw a leopard, a crocodile and a rhino. I even saw a male lion try to hunt something. He didn’t catch his prey but it was still pretty cool. At night I got to see a hyena. They look so weird! Especially at night. You got a really spooky feeling in you seeing those animals.

On the third day I got to see an ostrich. I also got to see a cheetah! Cheetahs are very hard to find because they are hidden so we got lucky. She was holding in her mouth newborn cubs. A day old max. Our tour guide told us it was the sighting of the year. I guess I got really lucky. In the evening we went to a place uphill to see the sunset. It looked so beautiful, so serene. When you looked at it you got a really warm feeling.

And then like all vacations, it was time to go back to our home. But I really enjoyed the safari experience. It was so cool seeing animals in their real habitats instead of zoos . It is definitely an experience I will never forget.  I hope that other people go on this safari so that people can have empathy for animals in zoo’s. I also hope that people will stop poaching these animals. I hope we can all share this awesome planet with everyone. Not just humans.

Here is a list of all the things I saw.

Lion, zebra, hippo ,giraffe, elephant, ostrich, cheetah, rhino, leopard, impala, wildebeest warthogs, crocodiles, hyenas.

Here are some photos.

By me

By me

By me

By me

By me

By me

By me

One Comment